One other hand...
Someone asked me if I was ever in danger of busting out of the sattelite. If by "danger" we mean "all-in against someone with more chips," then it was true exactly twice. (This doesn't count the time where I hit that miracle 4, butin that case I was dead certain he wasn't holding 2-6, so I wasn't in danger of anything besides a split when the money went in). One time was the hand I doubled up on with K6 (detailed in the "How I won the seat" post).
Here's the other time my tourney was actually on the line, with my comments in between:
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed)
Matt (t2000)
BB (t2135)
UTG (t4980)
MP (t825)
CO (t2170)
Button (t1390)
Preflop: Matt is SB with Ks, As.
4 folds, Matt raises to t200, BB raises to t300, Matt raises to t800, BB calls t500.
Just two or three hands prior to this, I had lost my chip-lead when i flopped a set of 7's and my opponent hit a set of 10's on the turn. That was ugly, but at least I had him well-covered and still had 2000 chips. The pre-flop action on this hand made me sick - i really wanted him to shove or fold when i re-raised (i was hoping fold, but would have called a shove). But because he just called, now if i don't flop an ace or king i'm out of position without a pair. In retrospect, I really misplayed this pre-flop. I probably should have just shoved instead of making it 800. It wouldn't have left me with a potentially awkward decision on the flop.
Flop: (t1600) 3s, Kh, Jh (2 players)
Matt bets t1200 (All-In), BB calls t1200.
Thank god I flopped a king. Obviously, I'm moving in. And I was hoping for a call - I didn't put him on AA,AK,KK, or JJ, so I figured I was ahead unless he was holding 33 or KJ. When the cards were revealed, I was "ahead," but totally mortified - he had QhTh, for an open-ended straight-flush draw. That gave him 14 outs twice, and me only a slim redraw to a boat if he hit an ace. He was actually a favortie to win the hand.
Turn: (t4000) 4s (2 players, 1 all-in)
Blank. Sarah and I both scream at the computer: LOW BLACK CARD, PLEASE!!!!
River: (t4000) 5c (2 players, 1 all-in)
Another blank. THAAAAAANNNNK God.
Final Pot: t4000
Results:
Matt has Ks As (one pair, kings).
BB has Qh Th (high card, king).
Outcome: Matt wins t4000.

1 Comments:
first off, it's funny you say that because I got pocket 77 twice during the tourney: one time i flopped a set, got the money in, and TT hit a set on the turn to beat me. The other time (which you refer to) I didn't flop a set, but i hit the set on the turn, got the money in, and busted TT. Funny.
Still, I think it was more luck and a dumb opponent that helped me in the second case. Why in the world did that guy not (1) bet out on the flop with TT if he was going to call a bet and (2) raise my flop bet all in if he was going to shove in on the turn. I thought he played that hand really poorly.
All that said, i did turn a set, which is basically the most lucrative thing you can do in hold'em, because you're hand strength has then been completely and genuinely disguised on the flop.
The hand that makes me laugh the most in retrospect is #131. As I was discussing with someone else, I'm pretty sure you could argue I played it incorrectly on EVERY street, in retrospect.
Post a Comment
<< Home