The good, the bad, and the silly...
T-miuns 5 hours for me.
The good: Best sushi I ever had last night, at Little Buddha.
The bad: The most expensive sushi I ever had last night.
The silly: My diet for today is most likely power bars and Red Bull.
Little Buddha was amazing last night. Great atmosphere. (Picutures here). Expensive, but not outrageous, prices. We started with some coconut wrapped Tiger Shrip in a coconut basil sauce. Sarah had a Chai tea martini and I had an Asahi Dry. Sarah got some Korean BBQ Salmon, which came in this incredible sauce, and I had a sushi assortment plate. Just fantastic. After dinner, we thought about going to either the Ghostbar or Rain, but we were just too tired. SO we called it a night.
Eating at the WSOP is a whole 'nother issue. The Rio is not known for it's fabulous restaurants, and it certainly isn't known as a place that can feed 2000 poker players, all of whom want to eat during the same 15 minute break. I've packed my bookbag with power bars, power gel, water, and other treats. I don't even think I'm going to try and buy any food on the breaks. I'm hoping the Pokerstars Hospitality Suite has some decent free food, but I'm not expecting much besides fruit and soda. I think Sarah is going to try and get a table somewhere at the Rio just before the dinner break, so I can join her without having to wait on any lines, assuming I
The good: I feel very well rested, having got 9 hours sleep.
The bad: I'm still on east coast time. Woke up 6am.
The silly: Yesterday, they didn't finish till 2:45am PST.
That's literally unreal. They played 6 complete 2-hour levels of poker, plus a 1.5 hour dinner break. If I survive today, I might sleep all day on Sunday. Put it this way: I may still be playing poker when you wake up tomorrow.
I start at 3pm eastern time. If I survive the day, I'll probably be done bagging up my chips by around 7am eastern time. Then I'll walk back to the Palms, write a quick blog blurb, and crash for, i don't know, about 132 hours. Oh wait, I have to see Sarah off to the airport by noon. And remember, this is the good scenario.
The good: I'm ready to go, clothing-wise.
The bad: I look absurd, and just like hundreds of other PS qualifiers..
The silly: Nevada Gaming has banned d0t-com ads on clothing.
This defies belief, but I assure you it's true. Fearing the feds, Nevada opted to not allow people to wear clothing ads for pay-money poker sites at the WSOP. And they made this decision yesterday. Some poker sites had the foresight to outfit their players in .net gear (or other play money site stuff). Not pokerstars. So it was handled yesterday by people either 1)wearing their gear inside out, or 2)putting some electrical tape over the .com portion of the gear. It's so absurd as to not be believed. As Shane says, "it lends some trailer-park chic to an already dubious fashion statement." Exactly.
Sarah will update this blog a few times during the day today with my progress. Check back here periodically. There won't be anything until at least my first break (5ish, EST), but there should be regular updates after that. I'm also going to try and take digital photos and video over at the tournament. Later.

1 Comments:
Good luck, Buddy.
Or, perhaps I'm meant to say, break a leg?
You guys try out that Mexican breakfast joint at the Aladdin yet?
What the hell is 'power gel?' How 'bout some good ol' fashioned spinach?
I gotta go to a work picnic with the Bird, but I'll be checkin' all day.
See you in your room on the ninth, along with the paparazzi.
Post a Comment
<< Home