Sunday, July 30, 2006

I made it through day 1

Hi.

I made it through day 1, and by god it really was a test of endurance.

I'm down to 10,400 chips, which is a real shame because with 40 minutes left (2:35am PST) I had about 34,500. I completely misplayed a pair of 10's and gave away 25,000 chips when it was (retrospectively) obvious on all streets that I was beat and could have should have found a way to fold. The blinds will be 250/500 with a 50 ante when I play again. That means I'll need to double up fast.

I spent 16 hours at the Rio: 12 of them actively playing poker, 3 of them on break from playing poker, and 1 of them counting, bagging, sealing, and certifying my chips. The last two hours were grueling - people were literally falling asleep between hands.

2300 people started today, and 821 finished. I next play on Tuesday, noon PST, when the survivors from my day combine with the survivors from day 1A. We'll start with about 1600 people and play down to 700. (Days 1c and 1d will do the same thing on Wednesday).

But whatever. I'm through. And I'm basically delirious right now. I'm going to bed. I have pictures, video, and about 234234524390 hands that I can talk about. I'll make the mother of all posts tomorrow, presuming I wake up before Monday.

Good night morning.

5 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love you brother! Keep going G!

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!! Have Sarah give you a hug for me. Sleep well.

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job Matt!!! I wish I knew what all the poker terms meant(so I could understand the ups and downs of it), but I'm excited for you making it through the first day. Sounds pretty rediculous there!

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, incredible. You're doing a great job! Thankfully you have a couple of days to clear your mind. Congratulations on a great day 1!

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of these is not like the others: Doyle Brunson, Phil Hellmuth, Gavin Smith, Howard Lederer, and Matt Glassman.

Give up? The first four busted out on Day 1B while Matt made it through with more chips than he started! Keep up the great work Matt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home